Since its inception nearly a century ago, Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport has been the region’s premier business airport, providing travelers with safe, enjoyable and hassle-free transportation.
1927: City Manager William R. Hopkins announces the idea of a lakefront airport as part of larger vision for the city of Cleveland.
1946: Mayor Burke makes the creation of “landing places for land and amphibious planes” part of the city’s “Official Lakefront Development Plan”.
1947: Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport celebrates its grand opening, becoming the first downtown airport in the United State.
1950: Burke receives a generous grant from the Federal Airport Act spawning a period of growth and redevelopment for the airport that will span decades.
1957: Burke replaces its original 2,000-foot dirt runway with a 5,200 foot hard-surface runway.
1957-1968: The first terminal, concourses and control tower are constructed.
1970-1979: Burke expands with new buildings, a new control tower, an additional runway and Cleveland’s first and only Aviation High School (currently closed).
1993: The main terminal of the airport is renovated to handle airline and air charter service.
1997: Burke celebrates its 50th anniversary while hosting the Cleveland Air Show. A Navy Blue Angel and Army Thunderbird are dedicated at Aviation Heritage Plaza and plaques are installed to commemorate the contributions of Clevelanders to aviation history.
1998: Rehabilitation of the larger runway is completed and an instrument landing system is installed to allow planes safer conditions to land in poor weather.
2007-2008: Parallel Taxiway G and a portion of the General Aviation ramp is overlayed.
2012: In front of Air Force One and nearly 12,000 spectators, President Barack Obama holds a rally on the Burke tarmac as part of his election campaign
2013: Relocated and extended runways.
2014: Added LED bollard lighting to front of terminal.
2015: Resurfaced terminal roadway. New LED ramp lighting added.
2016: New Landmark Hangar constructed.